Monday, November 2, 2009

Musing Mondays - Nov 2

This is my first Musing Monday. Looks like a fun and thought-provoking event. This week's subject is actually something I have been thinking about recently.
How much of your reading do you share with others (outside of blogging?) Do you belong to a book or library club? Do you trade books with friends? Do you tell others what you’re reading?

I am beginning to love talking about reading almost as much as reading itself. Up until about 2 months ago, my discussions about books with other people were few and far between. I rarely ever talked about my reading with my husband, not because he wouldn't listen but because it was just too hard to talk about a book that the other person hasn't read. His favorite genre is Science Fiction/Fantasy and while we have one favorite series in common, The Fionavar Tapestries which we have discussed exhaustively, we really don't have much in common when it comes to books. I am trying to change this sad fact by searching for other books we would both enjoy in that genre.

Lately, however, it seems I have been talking more with others about books. I have mentioned the new Book Club we just started here which I love but which, of course, really only focuses on one book at a time. I do share books with a small number of people, mostly my sisters-in-law. I did just give our copy of the first book in The Fionavar Tapestries - The Summer Tree to a new friend. I get anxious recommending books that I really love because it almost feels like sharing a little bit of my soul.

I am really shy online but I hope to make connections with book bloggers and maybe other readers on Goodreads. Sadly, I don't know anyone in real life who feels quite the same way about reading as I do. If they do, they hide their excitement well. I know people who read, of course, but there just isn't that manic look in their eyes that I am sure is in mine that would spark some kind of karmic connection. Maybe someone who fits this description is lurking in my little world here but is afraid to expose her/himself.  Maybe there will come a day when the veil will be lifted and we will recognize each other. Okay, I am being silly, but it really would be nice to have someone to sit and talk with about books.

2 comments:

  1. I've got that look in my eye! LOL. Glad to meet you via Musing Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't talk much about them either... until I started a book club and now whenever I see people, all they want to do is talk books! But I love it. However, they all still think I'm fanatic to the extreme. That is, until I met book bloggers in my area, and THEN, it was just like you said... we recognized the look in each others' eyes. It's so cool.

    ReplyDelete