Tuesday, October 6, 2009

In Which I Say 'Space' A Lot

My own space. A space to call my own. A space that is all my own even if I do have to be present at my laptop in order to gain access. A space where I can be creative and design to my heart's content. Okay, starting to sound a little like an HGTV show now.

It's been much too long since I've given real purposeful thought to what I read in books. I love reading and I love what I take with me from my reading, but I miss writing about what literature teaches me like I did in college. I had a professor whom I loved but whose name I now, sadly, can't remember who taught me to expand on the thoughts I have while reading. He wanted us to think on purpose and at length. Most of all he wanted us to write it all down.

I loved it! Many students complained about their reading journal but I truly got into the spirit of it. It became a wonderful exercise to me to start out with some thoughts on a poem, short story or novel and see where those thoughts took me. Without sounding too existentialist, I actually learned quite a bit about myself. I also was able to use it to vent my college girl angst. Very helpful since I was every bit as much a twit as the students I now teach.

Anyway, I am happy to have this space. I hope to use it well although I fully and firmly believe that life will get in the way of being here as much as I would like to be. Eventually I may reach out and put my URL out there in the comments box of some brilliant book blogger, but for now this space is mine all mine!

2 comments:

  1. I hope I'm not invading your "space". I've loved what I've read so far of your blog and can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome! I haven't been quite brave enough yet to start leaving lots of comments, but it's coming - starting to get in the spirit of it.

    ReplyDelete